Share your Deaf Culture in Action!

Dear Friends,

Have you attended a Deaf Culture or Sign Language event recently? Share your thoughts and insights on witnessing Deaf Culture in action. Feel Free to share your photos!

Select comment below and post here.

52 Comments to Share your Deaf Culture in Action!:

Samantha Michaelson on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 5:43 PM
I recently went to a ASL pizza night at HCC. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it very much. After going to the event, my thoughts still stand that Deaf Culture is very interesting. I enjoyed meeting many different people who identify as many different things. I hope to go to many more events like this one.

kayla brodeur on Friday, February 03, 2017 8:52 PM
I had went to an ASL pizza gathering last semester as well. It was awesome to see so many people signing and learning new signs and just engaging in the language altogether. I loved seeing people being so willing to help someone learn a new sign when they didn't know the sign. It was very refreshing to see so many people engaging in a language that was most likely not their first language.

Kathleen Musiak on Wednesday, October 12, 2016 6:00 PM
I recently Attended an ASL pizza night at HCC as well as a ELHS Sign Language club meeting. i honestly think that going to these events was really educational, and enjoyable and would recommend others go to them as well.

Genneria Purrier on Friday, October 14, 2016 1:06 PM
Hi. I've attended a Kingdom Hall where those who are deaf are accurately taught the Bible. Many who attend have learned ASL to teach and others are learning. All who attend are super friendly and welcome everyone with smiles and immediately want to start a conversation. If there's something that isn't understand, someone who is hearing would love to help. The atmosphere is very warm, although the facility is literally cold. A theory on why it's cold is because the "speakers"(signers) can easily get hot because of their continued body movements throughout the meeting. All are welcome to attend! Sign Language - Springfield MA (USA) American Sign Language: Tuesday, 7:30 p.m. (Midweek Meeting) Saturday, 1:00 p.m. (Weekend Meeting) 21 Sanderson St Springfield MA 01107-1423

Jannette Rivera on Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:14 PM
I had the opportunity to attended to the ASL Pizza Event at HCC. I was so curious of what it will happens an for my surprise I enjoying my self so much in the activity. We were able to interact with other students that share the same interest for the deaf culture. Also we learned how to sign a couple of new words. I'm looking forward to attend more ASL events

Luz Dejesus on Saturday, February 04, 2017 7:25 PM
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed yourself because I too, have to attend some of these events and hearing you had a great time makes me know that I will be comfortable and accepted into the community when I attend.

Charity Ward on Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:48 PM
Not long ago I had the time to go to the ASL Signing Pizza event at HCC. It was fun interacting with other students who were in different ASL courses. We got to learn a few new signs, like wise, sick, lucky, eat and a few more. The experience was great and I can't wait to go to more ASL events.

Madeleine Fordham on Monday, October 17, 2016 3:27 PM
I recently attended the ASL Signing pizza event at HCC, and had a really good time! It was fun to talk to other people who had been learning ASL who i didn't already know from my class, and see what their experiences were. I don't think there were many Deaf or hard of hearing people there, and I would like to see what that would be like, when you can't just ask people out loud when you can't figure out their signing.

Darlene Aresco on Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:04 PM
I recently attended mass and bingo in a deaf community. It was pretty awesome to see because it really is just like listening to someone speak another language but instead of listening it's seeing. I know that deaf people consider staring at them conversing is rude but it is hard not to because it is neat how people use their body to communicate with others. I did converse a bit with those that were there. It was a bit difficult because they were going so fast and me being a beginner it was hard to keep up at times.

Nateisha Greaves on Friday, October 21, 2016 12:36 PM
Hi, i have find it helpful to speak with the children that i teach sunday school to about the deaf community. some were not aware of the thing that the community does.

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, October 23, 2016 9:14 PM
Last Wednesday I went to anot informative session at HCC. A Gadullet University career advisor came to the college and talked about Gadullet University. The University representative was Deaf. She signed very fast, I kept on thinking that someday I will get to that level, that I will learn to sign as fast as she did. She mentioned all the programs Gadullet University offers and also mentioned that the University accepts only 100 hearing students and that in order to attend they have to submit a video of themselves signing, a written essay and two letter of recommendation from teachers. Gadullet University offers BA & MA on Interpretation and ASL. As a hearing student Gadullet University offers extra support and interpretation services. Another requirement is that students must live in the University (that's what I understood after asking various questions). It was great information.

Darlene Aresco on Sunday, October 30, 2016 2:44 PM
I did not know that they only allowed 100 hearing students a year. That is very interesting. I do agree however that Deaf people and those that are fluent in ASL sign extremely fast. It is hard to keep up.

Genneria Purrier on Monday, October 24, 2016 9:01 PM
As a child I was fond of Helen Keller. When we had free time in elementary school I'd always choose her book to read. Recently I picked up a biography of hers and I was really intrigued about what I learned. She became deaf and blind after a high fever as a child. I understand that people are deaf ,but I forget the fact that there's a story behind how they are deaf. I'm not sure if it's considered rude or not to ask, but I think it's interesting to know. Helen Keller eventually mastered to sign and also learned to speak publicly, so that she could be a source of encouragement to others by her story. I also enjoyed a French movie called "Marie's Story" about a girl who is likened to the "French Helen Keller", I recommend you all to watch the movie (it's available on Netflix) and read about Helen Keller. Let me know how you like either or both! Feel free to respond to this post too!

Nateisha Greaves on Friday, October 28, 2016 5:21 PM
No, i have not. however i am planing to attend one soon. i recently did on biography and one of my new find friend. she was fascinated to new that some one is speaking about it. in the interview she revelry that "growing up in a house that did not speak have it's challenges that she was able to overcome". so to inform the other about it we are looking at ways to get more invade with the community and take back to the children and other local church.

Ayshia Gollman on Sunday, October 30, 2016 1:43 AM
I found an article about a Deaf football team at Fremont School in California. They recently had their story featured on ESPN, Everyone on the team is either HOH or Deaf. I found this to be very interesting because it goes to show that anyone is capable of doing anything as long as they put their mind to it. I included the link to the article just in case anyone was interested. http://abc7news.com/sports/all-deaf-fremont-football-teams-game-airs-on-espn/1576412/

Darlene Aresco on Sunday, October 30, 2016 2:40 PM
I found an article about a Deaf Delaware man who was incarcerated at three separate times from 2010 to 2013. While in prison he asked for accommodations for communicating with others. The prison refused to give him any accommodations, saying that prison does not fall under the Equal Accommodations Act. The man filed against the prison with the Superior Court, which ruled in favor of Ovens. He was awarded compensations for not having interpreters at his anger manangement and substance abuse classes as well as not having access to a text phone as often as other inmates. Ovens took it even further to the Supreme Court, but they sided with Delaware in that it does not need to cater to public accommodation. I find this really interesting because the whole purpose of a prison is to rehabilitate those that are involved with crime back into the community. How is a Deaf man going to rehabilitate back into the community when he does not have an interpreter there to aide in the process? Every other inmate is allowed to use the phones during recreational time, but Ovens was either denied the use of the text phone or not allowed usage of it at all. This does not seem to be fair at all because he should have the same accommodations as every other inmate. Prisons should have accommodations for those individuals that are Deaf or HOH. Just because they are in jail does not mean that their basic human needs should not be met.

Michelle Liaszenik on Sunday, October 30, 2016 7:14 PM
I recently have been doing some research into the benefits of hearing children learning sign language, because my almost three year old is (basically) learning right along with me. He watches the videos and I explain it to him beforehand since he can't read yet. As it turns out, finger spelling is especially beneficial for toddlers, because it gives them another way to learn and remember their letters. It has been linked to earlier reading comprehension as well. Here is an excellent article that explains it a little bit better. http://lifeprint.com/asl101/topics/benefits_of_learning_how_to_sign.htm

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, October 30, 2016 7:57 PM
WOw, really interesting. My two years old imitades me when I study ASL at home.

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, October 30, 2016 8:18 PM
I recently signed up at a Deaf Club in the college I go to study ASL. I not only did it to earn extra points but to learn more about the Deaf Culture. I am excited and can't wait to meet with the rest of the group. Exposing myself to Deaf culture is going to help me understand the Deaf culture and learn more ASL.

Jannette Rivera-Vega on Sunday, October 30, 2016 7:55 PM
I went to a "Deaf Culture Workshop" in Hampshire College with my friend. We got lost; it was funny. It was a totally new experience for me, as well as the meetings of hearing people which I had attended there is always someone who likes to interrupt; it could be by talking to others or making comments out loud. It was no difference at this workshop. Throughout the meeting, there was a deaf person who caught my attention; this person keep on signing with another person while the presenter sign and signed to the presenter several times while the presenter was giving information to the group. It could be that she was either excited about what the presenter was signing or that the person was debating it the presenter.

Eric Carreira on Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:36 PM
On Saturday 10/29,I attended a Deaf culture event at Hampshire College. It was organized by Western Massachusetts Association for the Deaf. The event was a book review and discussion of Introduction to American Deaf Culture by Tom Holcomb. It seems like a fascinating book, and I plan to read it sometime soon. The presentation was given by Dana Hoover, who teaches ASL at Hampshire College. There were about 20 members of the Deaf community in attendance, along with 7 students (including myself!) who are learning ASL. It was a signing-only event. The presentation was given in ASL by Professor Hoover with no interpreters present. It was a beautiful experience to walk into the room before the presentation began and observe several different ASL conversations going on simultaneously throughout the room, and to be greeted by warm, welcoming,friendly faces who greeted me in ASL. I really enjoyed the presentation, which covered a wide range of topics pertaining to Deaf culture. She had an excellent slide show that helped me understand the major points she was making. It was wonderful to spend the morning surrounded by ASL,and experiencing and learning about Deaf culture. I also enjoyed having lunch with everyone after the presentation and getting to know some ASL students from STCC.

Ainsley on Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:14 PM
I have unfortunately not been to a Deaf culture event yet. I am super excited to go to the ASL idioms workshop as well as the Mocktail Paint night! I can't wait for the new experience.

Genneria Purrier on Friday, November 04, 2016 8:42 AM
I just recently watched a movie called "Hear and Now" which is "A documentary memoir following a filmmaker's deaf parents as they receive a complex surgical implant, which allows them to experience sound for the first time". I thoroughly enjoyed it and actually cried because of how beautiful and amazing it was for them to hear for the first time, as 65 year olds. Of course they completely managed through life as Deaf people without any trouble, even having 3 Hearing children and careers. I recommend you all watch and you can simply request it from the library and have it sent to a library near you. This movie definitely touched my heart and it may just touch yours too!

Nateisha Greaves on Saturday, November 05, 2016 7:00 PM
Yes, i want to a Deaf culture event today, it was wonderful. i enjoy the experience! i learn new words meet new people and a new activity Painting love it, my cat is not looking so on the branch up close; but from afar it is gorgeous...

Leila Melendez on Sunday, November 06, 2016 10:47 AM
Yesterday, Saturday November 5, 2016, I went to the ASL Idioms workshop in Northampton. I learned more words that were a little difficult to remember and actually sign The words were also fun because I can sort of use them almost every day. After we learned the words we played Goldfish in sign language. It was a fun game and very interesting. Some of the words I learned is Oh, Come On, Love That (Thing), Train Gone, What's Up, Brain full to Capacity, Grabbed my Eyes/Very Fascinating and many more. Grab my eyes caught my attention as being one of my favorites signs because I am always happy and cheerful and when I go on my adventures to do lots of fun stuff, I get very excited and fascinated by what I do and see.

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, November 06, 2016 9:48 PM
Leila I had so much fun. I thought that this event was going to be about Idioms from other Countries. I am assuming that Idioms in the Deaf culture has another meaning. Can't wait to find out what it means!

Michelle Liaszenik on Sunday, November 06, 2016 5:33 PM
I went to a Dingo fundraising event today, and it was a blast! I made some new friends, and they taught me how to play. Once you've got the hang of it you're fine, it's just a slight adjustment. Lorna was especially helpful. We didn't win, but we had a lot of fun playing, and I enjoyed joking around with everyone at my table.

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, November 06, 2016 9:45 PM
This past Saturday I went to ASL Idioms. I had so much fun. I meet students from others colleges and learn new signs. One thing that I enjoyed the must was the game that the presenter had us play. The name was called Go Fish. The game consist of cards and each card had the meaning of a sign by colors and number. We each had 4 cards and had to get 5 cards by either same sing and number or same color and number. This game allow me to practice the signs, meet people, and work on my strategy to learn more ASL.

Ayshia Gollman on Monday, November 07, 2016 12:02 AM
I found an article online about a First responders that was Deaf but got cochlear implants and wants to help "bridge the gap" between HOH and Deaf when it comes to needing help from First responders. He wanted to do this by having all first respondrers learn basic signs so that they could properly communicate with those that are HOH and put them at ease during chaotic situations. I found this article to be very informative because it shows how ASL can be used in everyday life and in many situations even if they are just basic signs being used. Article link: http://wach.com/news/local/sign-of-life-deaf-man-teaches-first-responders-to-sign

Genneria Purrier on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 1:52 PM
Hello. Found this cool article that lets those unfamiliar with Deaf Culture, in on some surprising facts. https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/Deaf-Culture-Facts I especially like the fact stating "Deaf people can be very direct". I'd like to think that I'm direct and have been told that I'm blunt, but I would probably be taken back by the "very direct" way of someone Deaf. A certain level of familiarity is expected between the Hearing, when we're "sharp tongued" with one another...Right?

Madeleine Fordham on Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:01 PM
I attended another ASL Club meeting yesterday, and had a lot of fun. I'm really hoping to attend the Saturday meetings at Barnes and Noble (although commute might be a problem) because I want to get to talk with other people not in my class who are also learning ASL. My friend Aleeza mentioned to me how she notices the different ways peoples hand form signs - smooth, jerky, if they have longer or shorter fingers - almost like accents in spoken language, and I'd really like to see that by meeting some other people than the ones I see every week. I also look forward to planning more Deaf and ASL events to meet even more people who sign.

Nateisha Greaves on Friday, November 11, 2016 5:29 PM
good after noon to all, i attended a Deaf-Culture event at Hampshire College. the speaker who was Dana Hoover, speak on a book DEAF CULTURE Our Way; by Roy K. Holcomb and the Introduction to American Deaf Culture; by Thomas K. Holcomb. you can find then in any book store i read them and learn so much. some off the things that where in the book we take about in ASL class.

Ayshia Gollman on Sunday, November 13, 2016 10:28 PM
Over the last week I attended a Sign Language event at Antonio's Pizza in Worcester,MA. It was very interesting to be in a resturant with other people who were either Deaf or learning ASL. A Majority of people at the event were much older than myself and had either lost their hearing at a young age or lost it as they became older. There was only two people at the event that were actually ASL students for a college in the area.

Michelle Liaszenim on Monday, November 14, 2016 12:30 AM
The Dingo event that I attended last week was put on by an incredible group of people, the Our Deaf Survivor's Center. It wasn't just a game for people to get together and play, it was a fundraiser to raise money for what they do. This organization supplies Deaf and HOH survivors of sexual and domestic violence with cultural support systems - helping to build trusting relationships between the survivors and their social workers and physicians, but they also are just there to chat, and be a friend. Give them all of your money. I can't wait to learn more and get more comfortable signing so that I can volunteer to help. I will link the website so you can check it out! www.odscunity.org

Ainsley Murdock on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 11:48 PM
Hello! Just wanted to put it out there for my fellow ASL 1 classmates that have a chance to get some points by learning a song and showing it to the class, where I look is on YouTube there is a girl who teaches how to sign many different songs! Her channel is TheDailySign. I learned two songs already! Now, getting to the point of this chat: events! I attended the ASL Idioms Workshop and the Deaf Painting. I thoroughly enjoyed both! I loved that I got to learn some idioms/slang for some phrases that I can use almost daily, and I loved that I got to bring home a beautiful painting I created! I just wish I had the chance to attend an even where there are more Deaf people present so I could really experience what it's like to interact with multiple Deaf people at a time and see how well I can keep up and follow a conversation.

Genneria Purrier on Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:27 PM
Hey! To my knowledge there are some Deaf people who aren't able to read and a common household book, for the Hearing, is often the Bible right? Would you be able to find a Bible in the home of a Deaf person if they aren't able to read? Anyway, I found this great video about a Deaf man and his family called "Seeing the God's Word in My Language". The man is sharing his appreciation and thanks for having the Bible in ASL and how it just isn't the same when reading it, versus watching it signed. Enjoy! https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/publishing/video-clip-asl-bible-helps-deaf-family/#?insight[search_id]=f4aa27be-b0ee-4b54-8582-faf15a76090c&insight[search_result_index]=1

Nateisha Greaves on Friday, November 18, 2016 7:06 PM
on of the things i can say is that this class open my eyes out a new way of live. i am new practice singing with family and friend. also in my line of work as a medical assistant i find this skill very helpful especially to my patients that are hard of hearing. there signs that they can recognize and identify. i love to see the Small and there face when i show them a common sing.

Robin Fordham on Friday, November 18, 2016 11:37 PM
Hi all. When I was helping my daughter find colleges where she could continue to study ASL, I found the following website: http://discoverinterpreting.com/?Find_an_ASL/Deaf_Studies_Program This site was a great way to search for colleges all over the country where ASL and Deaf Studies are taught. From the search engine on this page, we were able to identify and explore a lot of different options.

Darlene Aresco on Sunday, November 20, 2016 2:04 PM
Another good website if your daughter is interested in interpreting is Collegeboard.com Just search ASL interpreting and it will show all the colleges in the country that offer an ASL interpreting degree.

Charity Ward on Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:54 PM
Hi everyone, I recently watched a documentary called See What I'm Saying: The Deaf Entertainers Documentary. I really enjoyed watching it, it focused on four Deaf entertainers and their struggles being entertainers in a deaf and hearing world. Here's a link to the movies website if you want to know more about it: http://seewhatimsayingmovie.com/

Chanly Duong on Monday, February 06, 2017 2:33 PM
Thanks for sharing this link. I recently logged in and watched it and its really touching to me. It's just how amazing people are when they use everything they have to express their feelings/ thoughts/ emotions but no words. I cannot forget some face expression after I have done this videos.

Chanly Duong on Monday, February 06, 2017 2:42 PM
I want to share my experience of reading a news about how surroundings community react/ work toward deaf people. It's beautiful and means a lot to me. Probably one of you may have read before. It's impressive story, isn't it? http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/deaf-man-receives-touching-note-starbucks-barista/story?id=37110792

Darlene Aresco on Sunday, November 20, 2016 2:00 PM
I found an article about a Deaf movie fan that wanted to see a movie at the Cleveland Cinemas. The gentlemen made several requests to have subtitles, in which the movie theater declined to provide subtitles for him. The American with Disabilities Act states that it is required to ensure the equality of all individuals, which include Deaf and HOH. I think that this is crazy that they would not simply accommodate him with subtitles. I do not think that he was asking for too much nor does it seem like a very difficult task. Either way no matter the difficulty on the movie theater part they should have done the gentlemen want. Since they did not, now they are most likely going to lose some business from the community. https://nad.org/news/2016/10/deaf-movie-fan-sues-pittsburgh-movie-theater

Jennifer Gonzalez-Morales on Sunday, November 20, 2016 11:28 PM
Last Wednesday the teacher from my ASL 1 did a game. The game consisted on watching someone spell words (online) and then the person that saw what was sign needed to tap on the desk with oneach hand and raise the other hand. What I like about the game was that the teacher increase the number of letters per word and the speed the word was signed. This game made me realize that I need to practice ASL more often. I will be watching videos in you tube to practice and refine my vision. Like in the hearing world,people learning a new language they must get their ears use to hearing the new language so they can learn. I will be doing the same concept but using my eyes. The more I watch the more I will learn.

Ayshia Gollman on Monday, November 21, 2016 12:09 AM
I found a video on youtube by someone about what is was like growing up Deaf I found the video to be very interesting because it gives an inside look on the life of someone that is Deaf. Feel free to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60lzVhXW_0U

Michelle Liaszenik on Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:34 PM
Although the assignment ended up being cancelled, I did a bit of research on the pros and cons of cochlear implants, and I found a few articles that highlighted both the good and the bad. The best information that I could find was a transcribed radio interview with the director of the documentary "Sound and Fury" and the subsequent sequel, Josh Aronson. I will be looking into trying to find the sequel (I have seen the first one)because it is fascinating to me. I don't envy the parents that have to make that decision for their children. I hope everyone had a nice holiday, and I will see my classmates tomorrow!

Michelle Liaszenik on Sunday, November 27, 2016 11:36 PM
I realized that I had forgotten to link the interview that I read, and for some reason I am unable to reply to my own comment. http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/nov/03/how-deaf-community-dealing-cochlear-implants/

Ayshia Gollman on Monday, November 28, 2016 12:19 AM
I found a website that shows the different stories of people worldwide about how they became Deaf and how they deal with it along with the people around them. A majority of the videos on the site come straight from different YouTube channels. I have included the link below. http://www.whyisign.com/

Genneria Purrier on Thursday, December 01, 2016 2:38 PM
I especially found this article to be interesting because I endeavor to reach the hearts of the Deaf, by means of the Bible's message. It's about a woman who knew very little ASL and saw the need to learn more because the Deaf in Benin were a great number. She longed for someone to come and help the Deaf of Benin and came to the realization that she could be that person. https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20121201/letter-from-benin/#?insight[search_id]=3b756029-1421-41f3-94d7-09468ea28fb0&insight[search_result_index]=22

Genneria Purrier on Friday, December 09, 2016 11:27 AM
This beautiful video life story is about a man who was born deaf, and later became blind. His later becoming blind gave me insight into the lives of those who are born Hearing and later become deaf, because James spoke of being bitter after becoming blind. As he grew up, he found a source of comfort that kept him feeling positive, useful to others and confident that he has gained more than he has ever lost. https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/living-bible-principles/living-by-touch-deaf-blind-story/#?insight[search_id]=2a1037d3-c933-49b8-932e-e2f45fb590af&insight[search_result_index]=0

Brenda Rosario on Friday, January 27, 2017 10:14 PM
I haven't attended to a Deaf event yet. I'm looking forward to one of them, especially the pizza event that HCC is having. Reading the post I'm able to concluded that this community is very closely and caring about each other. Hoping that next time I'm posting new information will be helpful to others and exciting experience with this beautiful community.

Brenda Rosario on Saturday, February 04, 2017 6:12 PM
I want to share that on February 8 2017. There will be a gathering at Holyoke Community College (HCC)at 5:00 pm. A couple of my classmates and I will be there for the first time. I share this with you in case you will like to join this beautiful community. See you then!