BSL and ASL are so very different!  Let's see what you got! - Click the link below and post your comments and video here.

28 Comments to BSL Fingerspelling Challenge - Post here!:

Krista Tudisco on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:48 PM
My first observation was the use of both hands for all but the letter “C” in the British Sign Language Alphabet. I enjoyed learning my name but it is nothing like my name in ASL. As a matter of fact, none of the letters were comparable. As an ASL student, I can’t help but wonder if when learning BSL, does the fact that using both hands to fingerspell make it harder to learn the language? With ASL, because one hand is used to fingerspell and the placement of your hand while spelling remains in one general location, it seems it would be easier to transition from fingerspelling to signing in a conversation, as the person talking and the person receiving. I find it difficult now to watch a signer and make that transition, if both hands were used for both signing and fingerspelling, boy oh boy! This definitely was an interesting assignment. It makes me wonder how different BSL as a whole is from ASL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACg1_yATq84

Unnza Butt on Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:24 PM
Using both hands while fingerspelling was different, to say the least. What I found the most difficult was trying to flow through the alphabets. Compared to ASL, BSL seemed to be completely out of sync. I really enjoyed the letter "X" in BSL because that one is simple and in fact makes more sense than the ASL "X". Finger spelling my name is a lot more difficult and took a little bit of time to get used to. I wonder if one day the world will come out with a Universal sign language to Communicate with everyone. Also, this makes me wonder about all of the different Sign languages in all of the many countries. https://youtu.be/9L4kvBbIKcY

Chanly Duong on Monday, March 27, 2017 10:10 PM
I have the same thought. I'm wondering myself how Sign Language alphabet in some countries in which their alphabet is different from Latin.

Ivelianisse Morales on Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:51 PM
I found that BSL seems to sign inward. I mean that the letters and numbers are better seen by the person signing than person with whom they are conversing. Also, the use of two hands kind of threw me off, even for the numbers. I watched some youtube videos and realized that they also move their lips while signing as if they were speaking as well. Some of the movements are so minuscule that I feel in normal conversations I wouldn't be able to pick up. An example the teen numbers are just a shake of the hand. I guess because I know ASL some signs in my head just do not make sense and find it hard to follow.

Crystal on Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:40 PM
I am left handed and I had to make adjustments. The video was right hand dominate. Once I made my changes it was quite the different from the asl alphabet. BOTH HANDS are used for most bsl letters. Pretty cool. The 7 letters of my name....YESSSS! I got it...finally! Thanks for the exposure.https://youtu.be/Pa8mjJ5zH2Q

Felicia on Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:46 PM
This week I learned how to sign the BSL alphabet. For me, learning this was more difficult than learning ASL. While ASL uses 1 hand for the alphabet, BSL uses 2 hands for a lot of letters. For example, the only letter for my name I used one hand is the C. I also noticed for my vowels that I am often touching another finger on my other hand. I found it interesting how some letters in the BSL alphabet are actually signed words in the ASL alphabet. For example, it looked like F in BSL is "chair" in ASL. I honestly prefer the ASL alphabet because it is easier for me to remember the letters with using one hand. I feel as if I den easily mix up an A, or an E by touching the wrong finger with BSL. I love learning new languages!

Kirsten Mattson on Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:54 PM
Holy cannoli this was difficult! I found myself getting frustrated easily.  I had to remind myself that this was for fun then, I relaxed a little more. One of the hardest things for me was having to remember 7 different letters. I didn’t realize that my name was so long. The two easiest letters were I and E the others I had to practice like crazy. I found it interesting that BSL uses both hands when fingerspelling. To me that seemed more complicated.  Some of the signs were hard to see right away due to the placement of the palm. This makes me wonder how someone knows what letter you are actually signing. This also got me thinking about how Deaf people tend to sign with one hand if they are holding a cup or something. How can you do that in BSL if you have to use both hands to fingerspell?  I think the biggest reason I struggled with the BSL was I couldn’t make connections to the letters. In ASL I think most of the signs look like the letters so it’s easier for me to remember them.  In BSL only the signs for C, D, P, and X look like the letters. Overall I thought this was a good learning opportunity, it makes me appreciate other sign languages.

Brenda Rosario on Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:40 PM

Brenda Rosario on Friday, March 24, 2017 10:55 AM
Learning ASL is hard for me, now trying to remember BSL is crazy. I felt like the BSL you need to uses both hands when fingerspelling. Even the body movement was different. I believe that with BSL the alphabet looked like the alphabet letters, while with ASL the alphabet is much different when making the letters. I'm very happy to learn my name in BSL and looking forward to keep learning this interesting language. https://youtu.be/urXs2Gd09sw

Michelle Gordon on Monday, March 27, 2017 11:13 PM
Brenda, It's a great experience to learn different languages. When I finger spelled my name, I did find it a bit challenging. The only letter's I found the least bit complicated was E,I,M and C. In my prior post I mentioned the H started out as if I was going to say it's nice to meet you. I had to do my video a few times because that was the phrase I was leading up to saying. I need to get ASL down to the T before I move out to any other sign language.

Francisco Garcia on Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:01 PM
My experience learning BSL was interesting. The alphabet caught me by surprised. I'm glad that the video was included to show how exactly we needed to do each letter. It was pretty hard to learn BSL just because the signs are very different. The transitions on BSL was much harder than ASL. Only a couple of numbers were similar such as 1, 2, 4 and 5. As for 3 it was like how people would say the number 3. The number 6 was weird though. Using both hands to fingerspell a letter or number must be difficult to grasp especially for anyone just learning the language.

Marina Blanusa on Friday, March 24, 2017 9:44 AM
When I first looked at BSL alphabet I was so surprised how different it was from ASL. Using both hands to fingerspell is complicated and confusing. In ASL you sign most signs with both hands but you fingerspell with one hand which makes it easier to remember. I have to admit that letters B, X, W, and Q did make more sense to me than signs for these letters in ASL. The BSL letters C, M, and N were kind of similar to same letters in ASL, at least to me. I am glad I learned to spell my name in both BSL and ASL. This opportunity gives me a new appreciation for different sign languages. https://youtu.be/X1JzBM3l5tw

Luz Dejesus on Friday, March 24, 2017 10:46 AM
Looking at the BSL alphabet, I thought the signs actually shaped the letters signed. I think learning the BSL alphabet would be harder to learn because of the use of both hands in the alphabet. Signing my name in the ASL alphabet was very different from the BSL alphabet, luckily I only have three letters to remember! I did prefer the ASL alphabet since it's easier to sign. I have attached a video so you can see the difference in signs.

Michelle Gordon on Monday, March 27, 2017 10:54 PM
Luz, Signing with both hands is pretty challenging. I find BSL more challenging than ASL. In ASL class, I struggle with using both my hands because I use both of them just about the same amount, but this was much more of a challenge for me.

Michelle Gordon on Monday, March 27, 2017 11:03 PM

Meghan Auclair on Saturday, March 25, 2017 3:10 PM
It felt so weird to sign letters with two hands because I kept feeling like I was signing words. For example the BSL letter "H" had the same hand motions as the ASL sign for "nice." Something I noticed about the signs in both alphabets though is that they had some letters that are signed similarly in a way. Such as how two fingers are separate from the rest when signing "N" and more fingers are added with "M." Another thing was that "C" and "D" are both made to look similar to the letters they represent in both languages. "J" was also signed by drawing the shape in both languages.

Cassidy Richter on Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:24 PM
When I first looked up the British Sign Language alphabet I thought it was difficult. I'm so used to using ASL alphabet with one hand that when I saw the BSL was with two hands I was saying oh my gosh this is so hard, especially being left handed and already learning things backwards but then when I actually learned it and practiced I found out that it was not that bad at all. It was not that much different from ASL letters, the ones that I found similar are "N" and "M" and "V" for finger placements and also the letters that shaped out what the letter was such as "C", "Q", J", "D", and "X". I found this to be very interesting and fun to learn. I wonder what other differences there are with the BSL with actual words compared to ASL.

Jordyn Michaelson on Saturday, March 25, 2017 8:58 PM
I, like many others in this blog, found the most significant difference between BSL and ASL to be the use of both hands. I practiced a bit and was able to pick it up fairly easily, especially the vowels. It was clear after the sign for the letter "E" that they were following the A, E, I, O, U format and going in order, starting with the thumb. Therefore, those letters were the easiest for me to remember. I have seen fast fingerspelling in ASL and wondered what it would look like in BSL with the use of both hands. I was also concerned about letters like "R" and "N" where there is a hand shape laid out on the opposite palm. These letters are not necessarily as visible to the viewer as all ASL letters. I was surprised to see that there weren't many similarities between both of these languages. I expected to see at least a few letters be similar, if not the same. Overall, this was a great resource because it allows me to have more extensive sign language knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLCNojlpCOI&feature=youtu.be

Dalimar Romero on Saturday, March 25, 2017 11:04 PM
Ok. I thought ASL was hard when I first started, but BSL just won 1st place. I feel that ASL is soooo much easier. Both the signer and the reader have easy access to the letters. BSL was completely different. The sings seemed to be mostly for the signer. Also, I prefer ASL because you can get away with using only one hand for the most part. The ASL alphabet is one handed while the BSL alphabet is 2 handed with only the letter "c" as an exseption. I think I'll stick to ASL. https://youtu.be/5I3Hy9_lPnM

Sara Beltran on Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:25 PM
One of the most obvious differences between ASL and BSL is having to use both hands a lot while finger spelling in BSL. This made things a bit more difficult for me but I wonder if it was only difficult because I had learned ASL first, where I can use only one hand for finger spelling. I bet people who learned BSL first would find it strange to use only one hand. Another observation I made was that using two hands might make it harder to see signs from certain angles because one hand could be blocking what the other one is doing. A third observation I made was that perhaps using two hands to finger spell could be difficult for people who are not right hand dominate. Things might seem backwards and could take awhile to get used to.

Sara Beltran on Sunday, March 26, 2017 7:34 PM
Here is a video of me signing my first name in BSL

kayla brodeur on Monday, March 27, 2017 7:09 PM
An obvious difference between the ASL and BSL would be the use of both hands for BSL and the use of one hand for ASL. It was difficult for me to learn and retain BSL because of the usage of both hands. It was also hard because while signing some of the letters in BSL, I felt like they were hard to see for myself and especially for someone who I would be singing to.

Carlos Valdes on Monday, March 27, 2017 7:54 PM
I am not going to lie, this was actually a lot harder then I expected it to be. I caught myself watching numerous videos and pictures trying to figure out my name. Also trying to actually sign my name was hard while making the video. I feel like the person I am signing with would have to stand next to me in order to see me finger spell clearly. Majority of the signs use both hands as well which I found different. H was my favorite one. The letter J was unique also. There is clearly a difference between the two alphabets. It took me a while to get it but I did it. It was a good experience.

Chanly Duong on Monday, March 27, 2017 10:06 PM
I do agree with you that letter J is very unique. Plus, some letters such as N, M are just similar as ASL

Chanly Duong on Monday, March 27, 2017 10:04 PM
When I first saw the video of BSL, I thought simply it would be so cool and easy cause I would be able to use my both hand to express the letters. However,after I practice, I have different experience. Using both hand requires me to make sure which hand is which so I can express the letter correctly. On the other hand, ASL may be more flexible because no matter left hand or right hand you are, people still see your letters anyway. I found that some letters we may put the hand just like the way the letters are, such as J, X, Q. Besides, I may be used to the ASL so it's a little harder to try BSL. If I have a chance to approach BSL first, it could be different. However, I can say that I feel ASL right now is easier for me to go with.

Michelle Gordon on Monday, March 27, 2017 10:49 PM

Michelle Gordon on Monday, March 27, 2017 11:05 PM
BSL and ASL are very different. I found it a bit harder to even spell my name in BSL. When I was signing out the letter H, I felt like I was on my way to signing nice to meet you!I can only imagine how their words are generated and how different they are. I'm pretty sure after some time it may also come as second nature, but first I need to get my ASL down pack. Overall BSL is a very interesting and different experience. I felt I could've done better with my signing. i will tell you that it was definitely challenging. As shy as I am, I have attached my video. Enjoy! BSL and ASL are very different. I found it a bit harder to even spell my name in BSL. When I was signing out the letter H, I felt like I was on my way to signing nice to meet you!I can only imagine how their words are generated and how different they are. I'm pretty sure after some time it may also come as second nature, but first I need to get my ASL down pack. Overall BSL is a very interesting and different experience. I felt I could've done better with my signing. i will tell you that it was definitely challenging. As shy as I am, I have attached my video. Enjoy! https://youtu.be/A43kNihs9UA

Lex Saunders on Monday, March 27, 2017 11:13 PM
What a different experience it was learning the BSL alphabet! It's definitely quite different from ASL! My initial response to seeing the BSL alphabet was shock because it just looked so difficult and unfamiliar to me. I've grown pretty comfortable with the ASL alphabet, so it was definitely putting me out of my comfort zone learning a new signed alphabet. Particularly one using both hands. It seemed like a lot of the letter signs in BSL had a lot of similarities to one another, more so than ASL. I realized that I could make a lot of connections with each letter sign in ways that made sense the more I practiced the BSL alphabet; similarly to when I was learning the ASL alphabet. I'm now curious to learn more!